Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 03:40:02 -0500, "Nikolas Britton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What do all these things mean, they are from the STATE column in top?:

The lowercase names are the names of sleep-events on
which a process is blocked.

A few of these I think I have figured out over the years but pinch of salt please, not a lernel hacker:

bo_wwa
biowr
writing to disk.  Other devices too, probably.

*proce
getblk
reading from disk.  Other devices too probably.

RUN
select
waiting for data to arrive on a socket.  See man select.

drainv
*Giant
nanslp
sleeping.  see man 3 sleep

pause
Waiting for signal, I believe.  See man 3 pause.

wait
Waiting for children.  See man 2 wait.

kserel
ttyin
reading from a tty.

You missed "piperd" == reading from a pipe.

"lockf" = locked file. See man lockf.

Those have got me through most common situations where I want to know what's going on. kserel is the only common one I have no clue about.

--Alex