On Wednesday 14 June 2006 09:21, Erik Norgaard wrote:

> Now, reading the PF manual, queueing only makes sense on traffic going
> out. Once packets are received there's no point in holding them back.
> This means that packets from the Internet to some wlan host have
> consumed their part of the 2Mbps available so there is no point in
> holding them back.
>
> In other words, it seems I need to queue the packets from the wlan to
> the Internet such as to get the desired result on both upstream and
> downstream. Any ideas on how to do that?
>
> I think I need a better picture of how much goes in each direction for
> the different protocols, ie. p2p down ~= up, while http down ~= 4*up? Do
> any one have some thumb rules for this?

If you are aiming to control downloads via upload limiting then  forget it.  A
2Mbps tcp download can be sustained by just a handfull of tiny packets per
second upsteam. Some  p2p networks give a download advantage to uploaders,
but it's typically a kind of long-term karma rather than a definate
relationship.

> Secondly: Is it possible to differentiate scp/sftp and ssh such that the
> later goes in the critical queue while the former goes in the noncritical?

This is covered, to some extent, on the OpenBSD site.