I see that this problem is so convoluted that the shebang line has different implementations on the different systems. What about the idea of adding a space after #! to indicate to parse it the way freebsd did. The space following #! will not affect old implementations and will signal the new implementation in FreeBSD6 to split up the arguments.

Examples:

Note the space after the #!.
This next line would work the same in both FreeBSD5 and FreeBSD6:
#! /bin/sh -x -e

Currently in FreeBSD6 we need to use env -S to get old functionality.
This will not work in FreeBSD5 because FreeBSD5's env is missing the -S option:
#!/usr/bin/env -S /bin/sh -x -e

Space after #! is better than the env -S solution we have now that doesn't work in FreeBSD5 or below.

-alfred