Mayo, Richard A RDECOM CERDEC STCD SRI wrote:
why arent you using the port?

/usr/ports/net/ethereal
or
/usr/ports/net/tethereal
or
/usr/ports/net/ethereal-lite

A couple of reasons:

1) Installing from source is cool.
2) I didn't know there was a port.

I'll check into whether or not I installed the port, but if I didn't, do I fix that using
"sysinstall"??
assuming your ports tree is current (if not, do a man portsnap and use that), you just need to:

# cd /usr/ports/net/ethereal
# make install;make clean

then wait for the build to commence. you are still building from source, so it has the cool factor, its just that the port will handle all the dependencies for you.

if you arent sure what the ports tree is, check out the handbook.

Good luck!

Eric