RW wrote:

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 11:12, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

[portversion -L =] would be quicker.  Any > needs upgrading.  Any < would mean
you somehow
had an installed version newer that the port version!

Presumably that could happen if the port were reverted.

For completeness, looks like I got it backwards:

    <       The installed version of the package is older than the current
            version.

    >       The installed version of the package is newer than the current
            version.  This situation can arise with using an out-of-date
            INDEX file, or when testing new ports.

And yes, a reverted port would do it too, I expect.

And my system shows tons of > (which is what confused me) whereas pkg_version shows lots of =. Looks like you have to be religious about keeping INDEX up to date.

pkg_version -L =

is functionally equivalent, slower, but doesn't require up-to-date INDEX (which just takes too long to build and I usually forget or can't be bothered).

portversion -> tidy completists
pkg_version -> lazy sods like me

--Alex