On 6/15/2006 2:42 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

>> I have a FreeBSD 6.0 server that I manage that is used as a DNS / mail
>> server.  In the wake of the recent sendmail security announcement, I'd
>> like to make sure I'm keeping the thing up to date.  I tried to run the
>> patch as listed in the announcement, but the patch just seemed to hang,
>> so I killed the process and decided to go the cvsup route.  now I
>> understand the whole cvsup process, as well as updating ports, but the
>> whole release tag thing still has me confused.  If possible could
>> someone tell me if I'm doing this right or not, or have someone tell me
>> what I'm doing wrong.
>>
>> I'm only interested in updating the system when a security need arises,
>> and have no desire to live on the "cutting edge".  I handle the ports
>> through portaudit/portsnap/portmanager, and am looking to only update
>> the case system with cvsup.
>>
>> Here is the list of commands I run to update the system.
>>
>> # cvsup /usr/local/greg/cvsupfile
>>
>> Contents of cvsupfile:
>>
>> *default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
>> *default base=/var/db
>> *default prefix=/usr
>> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_0
>> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>>

>> src-all
>> *default tag=.
>
> Note that you set the tag=RELENG_6_0 ... which is what you want, then you
> reset it tag=. -- which will give you 6-STABLE -- not what you want.
>
> Remove the *default tag=. line.

Out of curiosity, can you revert back to RELENG_6_0 from 6_STABLE? Obviously I already ran this process...

>> # cd /usr/src
>> # make buildworld
>> # make buildkernel
>> # make installkernel
>> # reboot
>>
>> After rebooting into single user mode:
>>
>> # fsck -p
>> # mount -u /
>> # mount -a -t ufs
>> # swapon -a
>> # adjkerntz -i
>> # mergemaster -p
>> # make installworld
>> # mergemaster
>> # reboot
>>
>> After rebooting:
>>
>> # cd /etc/mail
>> # make all
>> # make install
>> # make restart
>>
>> And that's it.  I do the stuff in /etc/mail since I'm not sure running
>> make buildworld will update the cf files. The last patch that came out,
>> I did the same thing I outlined above, but I did not notice a change in
>> the version number of Sendmail when telnetting to it.
>
> I don't know if the patch updates sendmail's internal version or not.
>
> What does uname -a tell you after the upgrade?

mail# uname -a
FreeBSD mail.domain.com 6.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p6 #1: Tue Mar 28 13:46:24 CST 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

(the real domain has been obfuscated)

Thanks for the reply.

Greg Groth