Chris Hill wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Ron wrote:

Is there a way to use the current ports system if I am still running 5.3?

That's the only way.

I really need to update subversion, mysql, plus make sure I'm running the latest versions of other software, but since 5.4 came out (and now 5.5 and 6.0), I am no longer been able to get new ports.

If change my cvs-supfile to be:

------
*default tag=RELENG_5_4

I second what Bill Moran said: "tag=." for ports. I keep two separate supfiles - one for the system, another for ports. (I'm also running 5.4 on this machine.) I'll send them to you off-list if you want.

If you still have the original ports tree from when you installed 5.4, it's kind of long in the tooth by now and there may initially be a certain amount of dependency hell, but I'd bite the bullet and do it anyway when you have a free Saturday; it will fix a lot of problems, and will be less trouble down the road.

If someone can point me to some specific information that will help, I would be very appreciative.

What I usually do is

# cvsup -g /etc/cvsupfile.ports   <- my ports supfile with "tag=."

I've found the very excellent portmanager walks through most complex updates. It will only upgrade ports that need it but if yours are old that probably means most so it's going to take time.

portmanager -s will tell you what needs to be done
portmanager -u -l will do it. If you are upgrading jdk14 run make -n in the java/jdk14 directory and manually fetch any files it wants into distfiles/. Also I run portmanager -s > some.file to get a list of what needs doing, then use some.file to make a script that looks in each port directory that's going to get upgraded and does make config - then portmanager can pretty well run unattended. (I'm still experimenting with the make config bit so ymmv)

Chris

# pkgdb -aF                       <- may throw a lot of errors, esp.
                                  <- if you have an old ports tree.
                                  <- Fix manually if needed!
# cd /usr/ports
# portsdb -u
# portsclean -C
# pkgdb -u
# portversion -v | grep needs     <- see what "needs" to be upgraded

...and then

# portupgrade -Rr <whatever port I want to upgrade>

or if I really have a lot of time,

# portupgrade -aRr

...which will upgrade everything, but may take many hours even on a fast machine.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]