Matthew Navarre wrote:
I've got an AMD Sempron machine running FreeBSD 6.0 that's been experiencing random panics while trying to build world. In fact it just paniced now, with no activity.

The panic message is TPTE at 0xbfc20624 IS ZERO @ VA 08100000
bad pte

This started last night while I was portupgrading ruby and I got random apps segfaulting, mostly gcc, so I suspected bad memory. I installed new memory today, tried to buildworld. And *BAM* panic: bad pte

I'm still guessing that this is a hardware problem, and not software but I'm not sure. If anyone can give me a clue I'd appreciate it.

Machine details:
AMD Sempron
ECS K8M800-M2 mainboard
1 GB Kingston PC-3200.

Thanks,
Matt

First, a quick Google of "bad pte" turns up some ideas. Try disabling or changing APIC and/or ACPI settings. Make sure your swap partition is error free and has enough room. Google a bit more just on the lists.freebsd.org site for several possibilities.

For hardware, you can try memtest86+ to check to make sure the new memory is good. There are other stress tests you can run as well - I usually use the ultimate boot CD for that stuff. Other possible problems are faulty or too small power supply; too much heat on CPU, RAM, or expansion boards; faulty expansion cards and/or components; or faulty hard drive.

HTH,
Micah