I'm having a problem with aclocal and Automake when I'm running configgen.sh for inkscape on FreeBSD 5.4.

Here is the error:

===> Running aclocal...
aclocal: couldn't open directory `/usr/local/gnu-autotools/share/aclocal': No such file or directory
===> Running autoheader...
===> Running libtoolize...
===> Running automake...
configure.ac:12: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.9.6,
configure.ac:12: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:12: comes from Automake 1.8.5.  You should recreate
configure.ac:12: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
===> Running autoconf...
===> Configure script created successfully

What is aclocal? There isn't any man page on it. How do I recreate my aclocal.m4 using the 1.9.6 version (which is installed)?