Nikolas Britton wrote:

On 2006-06-19 06:04, Danial Thom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd say that a $55. celeron on Freebsd 4.11 would be just as fast as a
> Sempron an 5.3, so why not save some money and get something that
> everyone knows is "production ready"?

I'm not so sure.  It would take quite a few tests and some _real_
numbers to convince me that such a claim was true :-)

Any 64-bit AMD chip will knock the socks off of equivalent Intel
solutions in code compiling benchmarks. This doesn't always hold true
though, for example Adobe Photoshop is still faster on Intel because
the app is tuned for big pipelines / NetBurst.

I think the point was that slower-processor+4.11 is faster than faster-processor+5.3 which may or may not be true and might depend greatly on workload. Without actual benchmarks, it's just speculation. And it's still only really interesting if it still holds significantly for 6.X rather than 5.X. Even then, I am inclined to the opinion that CPUs get faster so quickly that even a 20% difference will evaporate in months, and since 5/6.X support newer hardware, I couldn't actually care less if they are a bit less efficient.

AMD64s are nice though :-)

--Alex

I see it was our perennial 5.X basher Danial Thom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you are quoting. He's a bit of a troll, in case you hadn't noticed ;-)