memtest is a good start, but isn't definate. I would recommend running
memtest86, which you can get at http://www.memtest86.com/, overnight
or longer and see if it comes up with anything. I had some wierd
problems with compilling and this let me know that one of my sticks
was bad. replaced them and everything works like a champ now.