On Jun 19, 2006, at 3:38 PM, FBSD_UG wrote:

On 19 jun 2006, at 22:17, DSA - JCR wrote:

Must I install Samba for that? or anything in the MS Windows boxes?
I thougth that Windows understand NFS but seems to be not.

Windows doesn't understand NFS; this is almost purely a Unix creation. I suggest installing Samba if you have a large number of machines (mostly that you do not control), which need access to the fileserver or for clients that aren't incredibly computer-savvy since you won't need to provide many more instructions than what's already available for installing the software and configuring/mounting shares. Plus, there are many tie-ins for kerberos, etc so you won't have to deal with setting up or working around a kludgy authentication system (sort of an issue with SFU as mentioned below).

This might come in handy too:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/opssfu.mspx

That is a good solution, but you don't want to have to require more than 10+ machines to have this installing since users will start griping and this may create more of a headache for you than it's worth.

-Garrett