On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Nikolas Britton wrote:

On 6/21/06, Ted Mittelstaedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

[deleted]

>   What can we, as a community, due to improve this situation?

Simple.  If you want to run RAID-5 then purchase the HiPoint card or
the 3ware card, both of them come with manufacturer-written drivers.
3ware is really great, they have a developer with committ rights and
they just stick their driver right into the FreeBSD source repository.

s/HiPoint/HighPoint/ a.k.a HighPoint Technologies, Inc. or simply HPT.

I have two HighPoint controllers and like them both:
FreeBSD 6.1/i386 + HPT2220 + 8x250GB.
FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE/amd64 + HPT1820A + 8x300GB.

Areca also supports FreeBSD:
$ man arcmsr (FreeBSD 5.4+)
http://www.areca.com.tw

My next controller will probably be from Areca because they support
RAID level 6 and have multi-lane connectors... maybe ARC-1130ML +
12x500GB. Does anyone know what SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) RAID
controllers are supported by FreeBSD?, they can use SATA drives
correct?

SAS is what I'm using in our HP servers ... don't know about SATA drives, since the SAS drives are closer to a 'laptop size' then full size drive ... the HP controller is supported by the CISS driver, and is, by far, IMHO, the best driver we have, since you don't need any 'external utilities' to check the status of the RAID controller ... wish they all provided that :(

----