Hi,

According to the supported hardware list the VIA VT8235 chipset is supported
by snd_via8233. But this information seems to be not always right (like in my
case). The first problem is that I do not get errors, but also no sound.
Thus, I searched on the Internet and I discovered that I was not the first
with exactly the same problem:
http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-15072.html
http://groups.google.be/group/fa.freebsd.hackers/browse_thread/thread/ef6b040e3242e478/14323b0a79fca308?lnk=st&q=vt8235+%22no+sound%22+freebsd&rnum=5&hl=nl#14323b0a79fca308

Unfortunately there are no solutions in these posts.

So I went to #freebsd on eu.undernet.org
(xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for people with XMPP uri
support ;-) ). After a some chatting, Predius said it was probably because my
codec/chipset combination isn't supported by the module.

My hardware and software:

1) dmesg:
pcm0: <VIA VT8235> port 0xe000-0xe0ff irq 5 at device 17.5 on pci0
pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1980 AC97 Codec>
pcm0: <VIA DXS Enabled: DXS 4 / SGD 1 / REC 1>
2) motherboard: A7V8X-X
3) chipset: VIA VT8235
4) tools to make sound: esound, mplayer, mpg123
5) via8233 module loaded with kldload without error messages:
# ls /dev/dsp*
/dev/dsp0.0     /dev/dsp0.2     /dev/dsp0.4     /dev/dspW0.0    /dev/dspW0.2
/dev/dspW0.4    /dev/dspr0.5
/dev/dsp0.1     /dev/dsp0.3     /dev/dsp0.5     /dev/dspW0.1    /dev/dspW0.3
/dev/dspW0.5

Is there any way to fix this? (opensound is no solution for me)

The second problem is that the supported hardware list do not indicate the
supported codecs for each supported chipset. Maybe there can be subpages for
every chipset on that page with all codecs that are supported on that
chipset. It is a very bad end-user experience to discover after *many* hours
that the supported hardware list is not complete.

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.
xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/