I'm having a hard time understanding what I need to do. I have a small home network that uses a 3Com DSL modem/router as the last hop to the Internet. Currently, the DSL modem/router to provides DNS for both my home network and the Internet. Basically I have a few static entries for machines on my home network and then the DSL modem/router queries my ISPs name servers for everything else.

When I registered my domain, I used ZoneEdit as my name servers. 'whois mykitchentable.net' gives this output:

domain:         mykitchentable.net
owner-name:     Drew Tomlinson
nserver:        ns3.zoneedit.com 209.61.140.1
nserver:        ns4.zoneedit.com 216.98.150.236

Now I'm changing ISPs and the DSL modem/router will be removed. I am going to use a FBSD 6.x box to be my router, firewall, and DNS server. I read the handbook regarding DNS but remain confused. Should I be a master for mykitchentable.net? I'm thinking not because ZoneEdit is the master, correct? So should I be a slave? And if I'm a slave, will my DNS get it's updates from ZoneEdit? Or should I become master for my zone and make ZoneEdit a backup DNS?

I'm a complete newbie to DNS but know that it's important to get it right or lots of stuff gets broken. Can someone please guide me in the right direction? I don't mind reading if you send me a link. :)

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!