I assume it is a DVD that is causing you grief. When you built MPlayer (I assumed that based on whom you sent this email), what make arguments did you pass? Since you built it, have you portupgraded? What I am trying to get at is I don't think your MPlayer installation is optimized. As an example, in my /ust/local/etc/pkgtools.conf file, I have the following MAKE_ARGS for mplayer:

    'multimedia/mplayer' => [
      'WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS=yes',
      'WITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION=yes',
      'WITH_KERN_HZ=512',
      'WITH_DVD_DEVICE=/dev/acd0',
      'WITH_CDROM_DEVICE=/dev/acd1',
      'WITH_CDPARANOIA=yes',
      'WITH_LIBCACA=yes',
      'WITH_MAD=yes',
      'WITH_THEORA=yes',
      'WITH_AALIB=yes',
      'WITH_THEORA=yes',
      'WITH_TREMOR=yes',
      'WITH_SDL=yes',
      'WITHOUT_ESOUND=yes',
      'WITH_VORBIS=yes',
      'WITH_REALPLAYER=yes',
      'WITH_XANIM=yes',
      'WITH_LIVEMEDIA=yes',
      'WITH_MATROSKA=yes',
      'WITH_XVID=yes',
      'WITH_LZO=yes',
      'WITH_XMMS=yes',
      'WITH_DTS=yes',
    ],

Those top three make args are what allows my PIII 450 MHz machine to play a DVD just fine. With those in their proper place in pkgtools.conf (near the bottom in the MAKE_ARGS section), you can portinstall or portupgrade mplayer and it will always be built with those flags. I hope this helps.