Nikolas Britton wrote:

I need to backup the /data directory on hostA to /data on hostB, about
1TB of data on a gigabit link. Right now I'm using scp but the
handshake latency and ssh overhead is killing me.

Try openssh-portable from ports and set these two:

              HPN             "Enable HPN-11 SSH/SCP patch"           off \
HPN_NONECIPHER "Enable HPN-11 with None Cipher patch" off \

Then use "scp -z" to do the copy. You need this version of ssh at both ends for -z (no data encryption) to work. HPN improves the performance of ssh no end on internal gigabits. No idea if it will match the ttcp solution, but much safer than enabling rsh :-)

--Alex