On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:54:14PM +0100, Joao Barros wrote:
> On 6/26/06, Scott Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Yeah, megarc does have possibly the worst interface I've seen in quite a
> >long time.  Allegedly the Linux monitoring tools for these adapters will
> >work with 6.1, although I haven't tried this myself yet.
>
> Yes, I think it was Doug Ambrisko who put in the shims for that, but
> haven't tested it.
> And yes, megarc should be on wikipedia as a bad example for bad interfaces.

Yeah, I don't know what they were smoking when they decided that it was a
good idea to use '?' as an option on a Unix command line, but they should
share it with the rest if us :-)

> >I've attached a couple of scripts I use for monitoring amr(4) adapters.
> >One (amr-check-status) is run hourly from crontab to alert of any change
> >in drive or array status.  The other (700.amr-status) is a daily periodic
> >script.
>
> amrstat from ports also include a daily crontab script which I'm hapilly
> using.

I should look at amrstat, I guess - it didn't exist (at least not in ports)
when I set this machine up.

> For the hourly job, there is a function in the amr(4) driver that's
> supposed to do a constant check of the controller but alas the
> function is just declared, empty in function. If this was to work, a
> message to syslog would be enough to send out an email with an alert
> for example.
> I started this weekend(again) my port of bio from OpenBSD and I really
> like what they did with the sysctl variables and with sensorsd like:
> $ sysctl hw.sensors
>           hw.sensors.0=sd0, ami0 0, drive online, OK
>           hw.sensors.1=sd1, ami0 1, degraded, WARN
>           hw.sensors.2=sd2, ami0 2, failed, CRITICAL
>
> With sensorsd on top of that, monitoring is a breeze.
> I think after bio I know what I will do next ;-)

Now that sounds really nice.

        Scott