I use bigsister, which is in the ports. Bigsister trys to use snmp and to be non-invasive. However, any monitoring comes with some overhead.

On the good side bigsister is cross-platform and can be used on Windows servers as well as FreeBSD (and other 'NIXs too.) Bigsister can be configured on a server by server basis for what you want to monitor, to limit any overheard you can. You can also configure bigsister to store the data in a database such as mysql for more detailed analysis.

Hope this helps,

        -Derek