Read the Makefile in /usr/src, and UPDATING in /usr/src as well.

What you will want to do is track the security branch, and subscribe to the security list to get any reports of issues. If an issue arises, you can choose to cvsup and rebuild, or not. If the issue is not in a subsystem you use, you can ignore it.

        -Derek