On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Francisco Reyes wrote:

Marc G. Fournier writes:

settled on HP Proliant servers .

The problem with HP, as I see it, is that they "officially" do not support freebsd.. I even sent an email to ask.. and the categorically stated that it is not supported.

I would not want to standarize on something which is not guaranted will work in the future with FreeBSD.

the problem is that none of the Tier 1 hardware manufacturer's support FreeBSD, and a growing number of places (ie. Adaptec / Intel) appear to be dropping support for it as well ...

Intel as an example, you can get storcon to manage the RAID controllers for both FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x, but they've not done similar for 6.x, which means I'm now "blind" on my RAIDs ...

With HP, at least, the ciss driver is smart enough to provide me with health info on my RAID controller, and I have the ability to manage everything remotely through iLO ...

----