I have some blades (from Advent, who by the way, could have been more
helpful.) When I got them second-hand, they ran Linux. Which I gladly
wiped out. I can only run FreeBSD. Nothing else will work for me.
But in order to boot these boxes up I have to do an option #6 at the
boot-loader prompt, and use 'set'; You probably know the drill.
The thing is, my application is not feasible this way. I need another
solution. I tried getting SCSI controllers and disks (and was willing to
just use SCSI in place of DMA) but I discovered that I can't boot these
blades with a SCSI controller in place. Don't know why, but the machines
I really need help from someone who has dealt with these problems and
Now, with an IDE drive, I say:
"set hw.hasbrokenint12=1 AND set hw.ata.ata_dma=0"
(Of course, once I am up, I put these commands in /boot/loader.conf)
and at least, this will make the systems work; But so slowly as to be
effectively unusable. For example, FTP transfers operate at about 1MB per
second and a same-disk disk copy of a 20GB file took seven hours. And
while the copy was happening, the keyboard was hung. Completely.
If someone knows how to solve these problems, I await your wisdom!
firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"