[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

--- Alex Zbyslaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I forgot about nice being interal to csh, that is
likely to source of my problems...

I use this for a dump

dump -0 -C 32 -f - |bzip2 --best | dd
of=/foo/bar.dbz2
and then on a restore

bzip2 -dc | (cd /foo; restore -r -f -)

the error I get is

expected 234234 got 234237
expected 234235 got 234238
expected 234236 got 234239
... ...

expected 234250 got 234267

which fills up the screen with seemingly corruption
errors, then the restore bails with an error asking
if
I wish to continue, if I continue it fails. I will
get
a screen dump of the error when I can dig up the
corrupt dump file, and or make a new one. I believe
the error is something about inodes missing or
being
corrupted.

this exact command syntax works on everything but
my
usr filesystem.

The restore man page does tell you why this happens
(I know because I was just reading it today :-))

You are doing this dump on a Live Filesystem.  To do
that use the -L option to dump (FreeBSD 5.X or later) which will snapshot the filesystem first. Either that, or do what we had to do for years and drop down to single-user mode and make sure no processes are running to change the filesystem. Dump needs the filesystem to be static.

Then when you restore you will get precisely *one*
similar "error" (at least on 5.4), which I can't explain but can say *does not matter*. I have restored several such dumps and compared them to the original filesystem and they are fine. You should do that yourself for your own peace of mind. (I do similar to you but with gzip
and on 5.4).

The "error" you'll get should be:

    expected next file <inumber>, got <inumber>
            A file that was not listed in the
directory showed up. This can
            occur when using a dump created on an
active file system.

and I think it must be some artefact of the
snapshot/dump interaction.

If you use -L and *still* have trouble then it
sounds like a bug.

--Alex

I wasn't aware booting off the cd and running fixit
made my filesystems become live...
It shouldn't, but why are you doing that? Run dump with -L while your laptop is up and running FreeBSD.

But while you are in your fixit CD or single-user you could try fscking the filesystems just in case. The output you showed certainly looks like files disappeared between the "dumping directories" and "dumping files" pass. I think that a corrupted filesystem could show that behaviour. Whereas the "error" I consistently get looks like an extra file somehow *appeared* between the passes.

dump -0 -C 32 -f - |bzip2 --best | dd of=/foo/bar.dbz2
won't "bzip2 --best > /foo/bar.dbz2" do? Why dd? You might also want -a in the dump command so that there are no "tape size" calculations (or maybe that's the default in 6.X, you'd have to check the man page).

Btw, restore also has a -N option which does the restore without actually writing any data. God for seeing if a restore would work but quicker and doesn't require any disk space :-)

--Alex