Hello all,

Sorry for cross-posting, but these issues seem relevant for lists...

Has anyone had success with SATA300 controllers with FreeBSD 6.1?  I've been
trying Promise and nVidia nForce4 and I'm not having any luck.  Using a MSI
K8NGM2-L motherboard and others, but 6.1's installation hangs as soon as it
sees ad4.  I've also tried using an Adaptec 1210SA controller and had zero
results.  I've read that the chipset on this controller is not very good -
forces serialized access to the controller's channels???  Nevertheless, I've
got a K8N Diamond motherboard on a workstation and I was able to at least
"start" the 6.1 installation.  I have no idea if its stable.  At this point,
I'd settle for just knowing "which" SATA300 controller to use that will work
successfully and "well" with FreeBSD 6.0 OR 6.1.  Another question, would I
have more success installing 6.0 and then upgrading the kernel and
recompiling with a build-world?

I'm currently trying to build a moderate large system with 4 presentation
servers, 2 database servers and one large storage system using NFS mapped to
~1.2 terrabyte of SATA disks (4x Maxtor 500GB 7200 RPM disks w/RAID5
config).  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Derrick