OK,

It's a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA/133 hard drive (EIDE). It's in a Dell Dimension P133v. I also have a Dell Optiplex GX1 which only supports a hard drive of 80 GB max. This machine is at least as old as the optiplex, so it's likely to support at most 80 GB as well, not 120 GB.

I ran Maxtor's HD Diagnostic tools on the drive and the test, with the exception of the long, full test, came back as "passed". So, I have reasonable confidence that the problem isn't the drive.

FreeBSD says during drive formatting that there may be weird errors for drives misreporting size. Are the errors that I'm seeing likely reflective of this? What should my concern level be?

Thanks again,
Robert

Tamouh H. wrote:
Hi,

I'm seeing the following messages in /var/log/messages and am concerned about the integrity of the hard drive:

ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
cd9660: RockRidge Extension
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
cd9660: RockRidge Extension
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
cd9660: RockRidge Extension
ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #ad/0x20001,
blkno: 5488,
size: 4096
ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
Are the ad0 messages showing the hard drive is having hardware problems?

Many thanks,
Robert

Very likely, backup your important date, grab a HD manufacturer disk and test
out the drive then post results here with the hard drive manufacture name/model.

Tamouh