On Jul 8, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Rico Secada wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 12:43:45 -0400
Anthony Agelastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi, I just installed cups from ports and had a similar problem with printing. Normally I haven't got any problems.

The printer is a HL-1430 connected to USB and the error I got was: 'Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/unlpt0" Permission Denied.'

Now I don't know if this is relevant in any way. After trying all kinds of solutions I finally decided to simply do "chmod 777 /dev/ unlpt0", and that solved the problem.
Hello Rico,

Thank you for your reply. Your workaround may only work until you reboot your machine and /dev/unlpt0 is re-permission'd. To make that fix more permanent, you will need to add the following to your /etc/ devfs.rules file (feel free to modify the 0660 to something more of your liking).

[system=10]
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups

And, add the following to your /etc/rc.conf file.

devfs_system_ruleset="system"

These were outlined earlier on in this thread. Do you have other computers that network print to your printer (and if so, does network printing work for you)?

Thank you for your reply.

Best and kind regards,
Rico