On Jul 9, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Darrin Chandler wrote:

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 02:55:41PM -0400, Elijah Savage wrote:
I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.1 I enabled ssh on startup. I
can see that it is running from the console but it is not accepting
ssh connections across the network. I can ping the machine and nmap
the machine and see ssh port 22 open, also /etc/rc.conf shows ssh
enabled what am I missing?

Since port 22 is open, try the -v switch on the client side and see
where and what isn't working. If it's a config problem between what the
server will accept and what the client is trying it should show up
there.

Also check syslog to see if something funky happened on the server side.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Well thank you for the reply but it was the network card. I am not sure if I should take it back or not. It is a brand new network D Link GigE card realtek chipset RTL8169. This was such strange behavior, I could get out from the machine but could not get into it across the network. I just replaced it with a Intel 100mb fxp0 and everything works now. Sort of sucks my server will be runnning at 100mb and every other client at GigE.

I made sure my card was on the list so it could be bad I suppose.

The re(4) driver supports RealTek RTL8139C+, RTL8169, RTL8169S and RTL8110S based Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet adapters including:

    *

      Alloy Computer Products EtherGOLD 1439E 10/100 (8139C+)
    *

      Compaq Evo N1015v Integrated Ethernet (8139C+)
    *

      Corega CG-LAPCIGT Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)
    *

      D-Link DGE-528(T) Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)
    *

      Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 Integrated Gigabit Ethernet (8110S)
    *

      LevelOne GNC-0105T (8169S)
    *

      PLANEX COMMUNICATIONS Inc. GN-1200TC (8169S)
    *

      Xterasys XN-152 10/100/1000 NIC (8169)

Thank you