On 7/10/06, Dan Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In the last episode (Jul 10), Jacob Jennings said:
> Hello, I am on FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE and was wondering if there is a way
> to replace the system's GCC, shipped with 5.5, (GCC 3.4.2) to GCC 4.1
> without upgrading the whole source tree to another release? Is there
> a way to do this that will not include much risk of breaking my
> system? Thanks.

You can install ports/lang/gcc41, which will give you "gcc41" and
"g++41" executables.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If I'm reading the OP's comment right, he may try to do what I did the
first time... I was smart enough to back up the overwritten files
first... which saved me a reinstall.

DO NOT replace teh gcc, g++, etc. base files for the GCC compiler with
the newly compiled files, that will cause a lot of compilation issues
for many core things and does not work properly. I don't know why,
but it doesn't; it seems a lot of things get very tied to a particular
version of the compiler.

-Jim Stapleton