mplayer is very powerful and it's manpage is
overwhelming.

Once you get started with it mplayer's features become
less inaccessible.

Here is a pretty good article that I think answers
your question and provides sufficient examples to make
your quest to better understand mplayer a good start.

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/17/2058219&tid=39

======
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all
his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring low
those who walk in pride.
Daniel 4:37