On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Gerard Seibert wrote:

Nikolas Britton wrote:

On 7/14/06, Gerard Seibert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sorry if I asked this before, but does anyone know if there is a port
for the following Perl modules:

1) Net-SMTP-SSL
2) Bundle Libnet

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=p5&stype=all

That was probably the first thing I did. Unfortunately, the ports tree
does not list Perl modules as they are listen on CPAN. Consequently,
finding the exact module can sometimes be a challenge. In this
particular case, I have not been able to isolate either of the two
modules list above. I find it hard to believe that neither of them has
been ported however, especially since so many obscure modules do reside
in the ports tree.

The names are formatted a little differently, but they seem to be consistent. CPAN's Net::SMTP would be p5-Net-SMTP in ports. Replace the double colon with a dash; the search will work without the "p5".

You can use CPAN directly, of course; the main reason not to is the ports make updating and deinstalling easier.

There's also CPANPLUS (/usr/ports/devel/p5-CPANPLUS) which is supposed to be the new way to deal with CPAN, at least for the non-FreeBSD world. I haven't tried it.