Hi

I'm sorry for the late reply but i thought i had sent you an e-mail when actually i had not.

I tried all the things you mentioned and i discovered that the problem can easily be reproduced in any application. It's simply a matter of me not letting go of the shift key fast enough. I reproduce it by typing any number of characters in caps with the shift key down and then directly switching to pressing the alt gr key and hitting the 8 character for example in order to produce the [ character on Swedish keyboards. This is when the output becomes silent and nothing happens.

I tried on a co-workers computer which runs Windows and it's the same on that system. It's been a while since i properly used the Windows system so i had forgotten that it was like that there to.

No reply is required to this thread as i have found out that this is just the way the driver works on both FreeBSD and Windows systems. So i have my answers.

Med vänliga hälsningar

Stefan Midjich aka nocturnal
[Swehack] http://swehack.se

Erik Nørgaard wrote:
nocturnal wrote:

Well i usually use vim and it's hard to know if it happens in other
applications, because i use vim so much compared to the other
applications and also because i mostly write those characters in vim. I
do use FreeBSD at home to and i can't remember any problems from writing
e-mails or chatting on irc. I use rxvt for all my terminal applications.
Of course this could simply mean i don't use those characters much in
those applications. I used to use nedit, before vim, and i am sure i had
the same problem in nedit.

Well, could you to narrow in on the problem try and test these things?

0th: Tell us your keyboard settings in XF86Config (model and layout)

1st: List the characters that you have problem with - obviously you need
a computer that doesn't suffer this problem :)

2nd: Try to type all these characters with the correct key-combinations,

- In the console
- In xterm
- In vi (not vim)
- In xemacs/emacs
- In firefox or thunderbird - any place you can type

Then maybe someone can point you closer to the solution.

Cheers, Erik