Usually firmware updates require that you either run them to extract some
files that later you run under DOS or are targeted to run under DOS when you
boot directly.
Could you tell your brand - it could help a little?
FreeDOS or something like this should do - depends what the instructions to
the file say.
You may look for a archiver under dos that extracts SFX .exe files.
Good luck!