On a side note, I found Outlook 2003 really shoddy/poor at working with IMAP
based systems, esp when you have lots of rules to run and lots of emails to
download first thing in the morning.

eg would easily 10 minutes to synchonise, whereas thunderbird takes about 10
seconds!

So from now I say Outlook doesn't work with IMAP, but merely tolerates them
;-(

--
Martin

On 7/23/06, Mikhail Goriachev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

jan gestre wrote:
> On 7/22/06, Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     I would recommend dovecot. It's capable of both imap as well as pop
if
>> you later want to add that and can do encrypted versions of those
>> protocols
>> as well. Dovecot is also in my opinion much easier to configure and
less
>> resource intensive than other imap servers.
>>     If i can be of any assistance let me know.
>> Thanks.
>> Dave.
>

> i second it, dovecot works great, try it.

I'm not into starting a flaming session, but dovecot's indexing/caching
capabilities are the only things that make it fast. Am I right? Well, it
is also written in C. I came across a few posts[1][2], though they're
old, saying that everything depends on e-mail clients as well.

I'm responsible for 2 courier-imap in production and about to start
working on a new one. This and previous threads regarding dovecot caught
my attention and it sounds interesting. However, what good is there
having indexes on IMAP server and on local machine?

I realised that my Thunderbird keeps record of all my folders and their
contents. So roughly I've got ~800MB of e-mails on IMAP and 12MB of
indexes in Thunderbird's profile. Also, apparently Outlook 2003 caches
absolutely everything. I've seen accounts with 2.9GB worth of e-mails on
IMAP and generated outlook.pst as big as 950MB. Maybe dovecot's indexing
features would be great in webmail environments?

Maybe I just got lost somewhere. Any input would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

[1] -

http://www.mail-archive.com/courier-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg19821.html
[2] -

http://www.mail-archive.com/courier-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg19834.html

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B