On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Joshua Lewis wrote, in part:

  I am replacing my XP system with a FreeBSD 6.1 system. I finished
  installing it last night and cvsuped. Now I need to choose a window
  manager.

  I want something lean and fast but I want to have my cake and eat it
  to because I do want something that is not strait up ugly and is
  functional.

Coming in late, I'll second the many motions for xfce4. It's pretty and fast and very accessible for Windows users. It's also fairly easy to customize. Having said that, I personally use fvwm because it seems simpler. Fvwm is just a window manager, not an all-singing, all-dancing desktop environment.

I've tried KDE, and it too would be familiar and instantly useable for someone accustomed to Windows. While there's nothing wrong with it, it was a bit "too much" for my taste.

The best idea was, of course, John Nielsen's advice to install several and see what you like.

There is information on many window managers at http://xwinman.org/

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]