Thanks all.  I  have XP and linux  share  the  xtended partition,  and
now I want to say bye bye  linux (I  need  XP for worldwind  s/w) .
Ido not  see the extended  logical drives containing  ext3 from
sysinstall that  is the problem.

The cmdline freebsd  fdisk feels  like  a  throw  back tp the  pdp-11 days :)
So I'm  going to  try and  mount  them  from bsd  below  my  home
folder,  without deleting them first... until I work  out  exactly how
to  use  the fbsd fdiks  cmdline without  damaging  anything.

Thanks  once  again!

Rgrds

On 7/29/06, Charles Swiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Jul 28, 2006, at 4:55 PM, Gobbledegeek wrote:
> I've wanted to try  this for a  long time,  but  I believed  its  not
> possible,  but  never  asked  anyone so....
>
> Is  it possible to have multiple freebsd slices (partitions)  on a
> single disk?

Sure.  You'd be mounting filesystems from /dev/ad0s2 rather than
ad0s1, for example, depending on your hard drive position in the ATA
chain and which FDISK partitions you've used.

> For  example, I  already got a  fbsd slice  with
> partitions in it,  now  I  want to  add  another and  use that  space,
> after deleting  a windoze partition.

Should be no problem.

> What about using  an  extended  logical  partition  as  a freebsd
> slice?

IMHO, logical partitions are pure evil which was invented to work
around the 4-partition FDISK limit, and are nearly useless to
anything which creates its own slices or subpartitions within an
FDISK partition the way BSD or Linux can.

YMMV, but I would convert the extended partition into a normal one
and use it directly within FreeBSD, as I do not believe you can boot
from extended partitions...

--
-Chuck

--