how do i invoke the KDE windows environment?
If you configured everything properly-in terms of XWindows-and have installed KDE, bringing up the KDE environment can simply be done using the command "startkde". You may prefer setting up more than that though, so I suggest modifying .xinitrc and adding startkde, then invoking startx instead.
what are some other resources for me to learn the "how to do"...
for example: how do i install applications.
There are a few HOWTOs out there, but you should also consult the Handbook first... <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/>

Im pretty proficient at using "microsofts" windows environment.
Welcome to a Unix environment though. Things are quite a bit different here.
any help is greatly appreciated.
And help is gratefully given as long as respect is as well on the list :).
-Garrett