On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:

Chris Whitehouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
Counting portsnap and cvsup accesses is non-intrusive - i.e. nothing
sent from local host - will count systems from any version of
FreeBSD, but will never count everything because sites with multiple
hosts may easily have local propagation mechanisms.  But you will
get an order of magnitude.  However, how do you deal with systems
with variable IPs?  I don't know enough about the internals of
either portsnap or cvsup to know if there is some kind of unique id
associated with hosts.  If not, then you'd wildly over count for
many home-based, variable IP systems.

Maybe not so many, my non-static ip hasn't changed since I signed up 3
years ago despite turning off the modem for the odd day or
two. Another network I look after also hasn't changed in a year.

But one can't rely on that.  You'll definitely see more than one ip
associated with my laptop, if I move it around.

A more reliable way that I can think of is generating a unique ID
number when a system finishes installation or upon the first boot.
However, it may involve some additional privacy problem.  What do you
think?

How does Solaris generate its 'hostid'? Is it a hardware/sparc thing, or software?

----