On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Nikolas Britton wrote:

On 8/1/06, User Freebsd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> Ok.. lets start from the top, again. Why do we need uniqueness?

We want to count each host reporting *once* ... without uniqueness per
host, how are you going to know whether to update a hosts record, instead
of add it as a new host?

But no matter what you do you can never guaranty a hosts uniqueness...
What you want to do is akin to DRM and there is no way to do this in
the open source world.

What is wrong with a total host count? If all hosts are reporting in
once per month then whats the problem?... just simple addition:

DATA:
6.1-STABLE i386
6.0-RELEASE i386
6.1-RELEASE-p2 AMD

I guess I'm just trying to make it as accurate as possible, and fear someone "fetch bombing" just to artificially increase the #s ... but, then again, if they did do that, even with a unique value, it wouldn't take much to create a random one for that purpose ...

So, ya, I guess a unique id would be pretty useless ...

----