On 8/1/06, John Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tuesday 01 August 2006 14:04, Bill Moran wrote:
> > I am installing a new server and have to copy many files from old server
> > to new. I have connected a windows box to each via samba, and am dragging
> > from one to the other via the windows box.
> >
> > This might seem like a silly question, but what is the way to copy
> > -directly- from one fbsd box to another?
>
> Usually NFS or scp.  There are other choices, though.

For many situations my favorite is tar+netcat (w/ optional bzip2 compression).

On the destination host:
        cd /some/path
        nc -l 1234 | tar -xjvf -

And on the source host:
        cd /some/path
        tar -cjvf - relative/path/to/source/dir | nc destip 1234

If you don't want compression leave out the 'j' flag in both calls to tar.

scp is your best bet if you need encryption though (take note of the -r and -C
flags).

I'll 2nd netcat... one of the most versatile tool I've come across in
UNIX land!

http://www.securitydocs.com/library/3376
http://www.rajeevnet.com/hacks_hints/os_clone/os_cloning.html
http://www.stearns.org/doc/nc-intro.current.html

One thing I'd like to add to Johns comment is to not use compression
if your on a GigE network, The overhead required to do this will max
out the CPU, the net effect being very slow transfer rates. It also
helps to not use tar -v, you will miss error messages if you use -v
because the SNR is very low, it consumes CPU time too.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/