I followed some advice on how to get higher resolutions on the console
for my 1280x1024 LCD monitor.

I recompiled the kernel with
options VESA
options SC_PIXEL_MODE

After a vidcontrol MODE_282 I get a 1280x1024 console.
Nice, but the characters are just "fat" compared to the chars I get in
Xorg running the same resolution setting (those terminal chars are very
sharp).

Furthermore it "feels" as though the screen has become a little slower
then without vesa and sc_pixel_mode (in the console). Can this be? Or
is this just my imagination.

The console resolution has to be delt with because the default font is
really HUGE ;-)

Question: is VESA the way to go or is it better to leave this out of
the kernel and do just something with the buildin "-f" (font) in
vidcontrol. I have font8x8/8x14/8x16 in my /etc/rc.conf

Your comments and advise please.

--
dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 ++ The Power to Serve