Hi Marc,

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:30:08 -0300 (ADT) you wrote:

> Okay, there has been alot of discussion on this in the other thread,
> some of it tangent'd to the original, so, I'm starting off a new
> thread as a sort of summary ...

Great idea, but should be introduced with care...

> I've been doing some thinking on it this afternoon, and think I've
> figured out about the simpliest way of doing it ... it still doesn't
> deal with "fakers" and such, but, IMHO, I don't think that that is a
> *huge* problem that needs to be addressed ... some might do it for a
> lark, but, overall, it just sounds like something that is "more worth
> then its worth", so over time, it should eventually balance out ...

...taking into consideration *why* do we want to do the stats. *If*
we plan (and this is one of the goals of the project) to have those
stats as a serious argument for a Big Business then we *must* prove
that those numbers are not faked. Or even more strict: that those
numbers can't (or even very, no VERY hard to) be faked.

It's useless (as a serious argument) if it can be faked: imagine that
a virus (warm or else) is written to fake it.

[Can't comment on the rest right now, thus skipped]

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve