On 8/7/06, Jonathan Horne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

i wonder how many people are brave enough, and do actually installworld
without changing to single user mode?  i wonder what is truly at risk from
not going to single mode?

I've done this plenty of times, and the only time I find I have problems
is when some software is running and has been updated (a daemon like
sendmail or bind).
The main reason (I think) they say to drop to single user mode is to ensure
that nobody is logged in and that as little as possible can intefere with
the upgrade process (rogue processes changing config files while mergemaster
is running).

If you've stopped all processes, logged out all users except yourself,
you'll probably find that your installworlds while not in single user will
go without a problem.

Thanks