On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Brendan Kosowski wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD 3.4 with the GENERIC kernel which has
> the line "pseudo-device bpfilter 1" uncommented in the config. I also
> re-built and re-installed GENERIC just to be sure.
>
> /dev/bpf0 has "rw" permissions for the owner (root). There are no other
> bpf devices in /dev.
>
> When I su to root and run tcpdump, I get the message
> "tcpdump: /dev/bpf1: No such file or directory".

Someone else is using bpf0 (dhcp perhaps?), so tcpdump tries to open
bpf1. You only have one bpf in the kernel, so you're out of luck and you'll
have to recompile the kernel.

Change "pseudo-device bpfilter 1" to "pseudo-device bpfilter 4", rebuild
and reinstall the kernel. Then (or while you're rebuilding the kernel),
go to /dev/ and do './MAKEDEV bpf1' (and 2 and 3). After the reboot, it
should work fine.

                        Fer

PS: why are you using such an old version? unless you have a very good
reason, you should upgrade