Ross Penner wrote:
On 8/8/06, Pete Slagle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I followed your steps but the problem remains. The /etc/passwd file is
edited but I still can't logon as root. When I changed the shell initially,
I used chpass. I
also tried changeing the /etc/master.passwd file to no avail.

As mentioned by others: did you remount the root partition rw? In single user mode it is mounted read-only. 2nd: Did you use vipw, the pw command or just vi?

If you can see your changes in the master.passwd file, then you might just need to rebuild the db files while still in single-user mode:

  # pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd
  # pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd

If this fails, maybe some strange character sneaked in and building the database fails. Then you can recover the original master.passwd from the sources, /usr/src/etc/master.passwd, you still have to rebuild the db files.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt