On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Igor Robul wrote:

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:30:42PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
Could create problems long term .. one thing I will be using the
IPs to do is:

SELECT ip, count(1) FROM systems GROUP BY ip ORDER BY count DESC;

to look for any 'abnormalities' like todays with Armenia ...

hashing it would make stuff like that fairly difficult ...
You can make _two_ hashes and then concatenate to form unique key.
Then you still be able to see "a lot of single IPs". Personaly, I dont
care very much about IP/hostname disclosure :-)

Except that you are disclosing that each and every time you send out an email, or hit a web site ... :)

Regardless, though ... what do ppl suggest here?  Simple 'md5' hash?

----