On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Howard Jones wrote:

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

The uniqueness is a combination of IP+hostname ... again, as one pointed
out with PCBSD, this isn't always necessarily the case, but, IMHO, that
is a flaw of PCBSD having all hosts on the same network using the same
hostname ...

That's the nice thing with the 'ifconfig|sha256' scheme. Because it
would include the MAC address of the interfaces in the hash, the only
'identical' machines would be ones with no ethernet interfaces at all.

Right, and the bad thing is if yu alias another IP on that device, the hash totally changes, so we see that one host now as being two different ones :) That's why we disqualified using ifconfig right at the beginning ...

----