On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:36:16 -0600, "Brian Henning"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> Hello,
> I am working on connecting to my isp through a modem on freebsd. I am
> really
> close to getting it working. I can manually logon like this
>
> ppp ON TRINITY> set device /dev/cuaa0   #com1
> ppp ON TRINITY> set speed 115200
> ppp ON TRINITY> show physical
> ppp ON TRINITY> term
> at
> atdt1111111234
>
> i then get a login prompt where i can enter my username and password.
> then i am connected to my ISP.
>
> Now i would like to automate this process...
>

> here is what i put into my '/etc/ppp/ppp.conf'
>
> default:
>  set device /dev/cuaa0
>  set speed 115200
>  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
>            \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDP\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
>  set timeout 180
>  enable dns
>
> interactive:
>  set phone 1111111111
>  set authname <username>
>  set authkey <password>
>  set openmode active
>  accept chap
>

> at the prompt i type:
> >ppp -auto interactive
>

> The modem dials the number but beyond that i there is no connection to
> the
> isp.
> does anyone have any suggestions to help me figure out why i can't get
> connected?

Dru Lavigne wrote the clearest explanation I've read regarding how to
connect using ppp/dialup:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/06/14/FreeBSD_Basics.html

One other suggestion: For typing brevity and because use of the word
'interactive' in this context is a bit confusing, try using 'isp'
instead.

Jud