It most certainly is.

If you are using vim, them you can set patchmode
This will keep the original version of a file(for example rc.conf.org)

:help patchmode will tell you more.

This saved me quite a few times after I screwed up a configuration file and didn't remember how to get it back again...

Martin Tournoij wrote:

Martin,

Snapshots really aren't that complicated, take a look at the handbook entry:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/snapshots.html

Quite handy, didn't even know this existed for FBSD. Started using it right away, with the freebsd-snapshot port. Always good to have an extra backup against /etc changes that didn't work out THAT well afterall. :)

/Robin