I managed to track down the problems:
1) KPrinter overwrote cupsd.conf, fortunately I had a backup, which
made the Web usable again.
2) Some files were missing from the hplip installation. I forceupgraded
it, and I could delete and reinstall the printer, so it now works as it
did before.

I still can't get CUPS to work in KDE though. If anyone has any ideas
on that, please share them.