Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 02:58:23 -0400 (EDT)
> Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to install VMWare Server on FreeBSD 6.0?  I'm looking
>> for comments from people who may have done this.
>
> I may be completelly off the mark here...but I think the VMWare Server is more
> like XEN rather than Qemu ( which is more VMWare workstation).
>
> AFAIK, VMWare does not support FreeBSD as a host (YES as a guest) in their
> latest versions of the Workstation line. I havent heard of host as for the
> Server line, but I could be wrong.
>
> Have you looked into Xen instead?
>
> Beto
well I'm trying vmware3 at the moment using 6.1 as host; the port seems to build fine, and the wizard now runs to build a setup. I need to get a key in order to actually run a machine, but I think overall it will eventually run XP. Had to change my linux compatibility etc etc.

The difficulty with Xen at present is that it won't run XP/Win2k etc etc which vmware will. Xen will eventually get there now that they've got agreements with M$. The real problem with these emulations is how far they are from the real hardware. USB is still "new" so I don't expect to get my usb dvbt working even if a virtual XP runs fine. I know the qemu can do some kind of device control under linux, but I suspect it's harder under freeBSD.
--
Robin Becker